Registered Charity No: 523074
Environmental Policy and Procedure
Ormside Village Hall Management Committee is committed to protecting and actively promoting the improvement of the local environment. It is committed to complying with relevant legislation and reducing Ormside Village Hall’s environmental impact.
Actions to reduce Ormside Village Hall’s environmental impact.
Ormside Village Hall Management Committee will ensure that environmental priorities are integrated into the decisions it takes on all its services and will seek to:
1) Make the most efficient use of energy. It will endeavour to use the minimum quantities of energy possible in accordance with the safe and efficient operation of its heating, lighting, plant and machinery. It will, from time to time, review its energy sources, energy using appliances and energy efficiency with a view to causing the least environmental impact. It will monitor consumption and eliminate excessive or unnecessary use. It will communicate to all users the means by which energy may be conserved, e.g. closing doors.
2) Encourage those using the hall to walk, cycle and use public or communal transport as alternatives to the private car. It will seek to provide information about public transport on publicity materials.
3) Minimise and where possible eliminate all forms of pollution, using biodegradable chemicals where possible, and minimising use of solvents.
4) Minimise noise pollution. Users will be reminded of their responsibility to the local community within the hire agreement and encouraged to avoid creating noise pollution, especially at night.
5) Use the minimum quantities of water possible in accordance with its activities and ensure that the water it uses is both supplied and disposed of, in the purest condition possible, meeting statutory requirements. It will reduce leakage and eliminate excessive or unnecessary use.
6) Avoid waste and encourage the appropriate conservation, re-use and recycling of resources. It will re-use and recycle materials as far as possible and, if this is impractical, disposal by a means which will have the least impact on the environment and conforms to statutory requirements. It will encourage all users to minimise waste and to recycle.
7) It will ensure that the potential environmental impact of any building projects will be assessed and minimised. This will include, where possible, methods of construction which make best use of resources; designs which result in low maintenance and high energy efficiency and the use of building materials from sustainable sources such as timber. It will encourage volunteers, hirers and users to use and operate the building correctly to conserve energy and minimise waste.
8) Promote a sense of responsibility and understanding for the environment and participation in environmental issues, by raising users’ awareness, by information provision and open consultation with the local community.
9) It will seek, where possible, to purchase from local or regional suppliers, in order to maximise input to the local community and minimise carbon emissions from transport.
10)Protect the health and well-being of all users and visitors and improve and safeguard the quality of Ormside Village Hall.
Monitoring and Review
Ormside Village Hall Management Committee will monitor, review and where possible improve performance each year with positive action on any areas of noncompliance.
Created September 2015/Reviewed 2017